5 Tips For Potty Training Your New Puppy
Getting a new puppy is an incredibly exciting time for any pet owner. No one can prepare you for all the love, and cuddles you are about to experience. And who doesn’t love that adorable new puppy smell? But even with all of the goodness that comes along with owning a new puppy, it is extremely important to remember that a new puppy also means a-lot of responsibility. Puppy potty training is one of the most important steps you can take for a long, and happy life with your new fur baby.
When Should I Start Potty Training My New Puppy?
Puppy potty training is one of the most important things you can do for your new pet. It can be frustrating, and can also be extremely time consuming, but it is crucial you take the time and energy to start potty training your new pup as soon as possible. The best time to start is when your puppy is about 8-12 weeks old. Although puppies do not gain full control of their bladder till closer to 5 months old, it is important to start around 8-12 weeks so you can help them form good habits early on.
5 Tips for Potty Training Your New Puppy
1. Crate training is key – When potty training a new puppy, it is important to crate train them. This will help to keep them in one designated spot and make it easier for you to take them out to go.
2. Develop a schedule – Being consistent with a potty training schedule is important. This means taking your dog out to go at the same time each day. You can never take them out too much in those first few weeks of training.
3. Use a rewards system – A rewards system can be helpful in motivating your puppy to learn how to potty correctly. Rewards could include treats, praises, or toys. Give them rewards as often as you can!
4. Deal with mistakes the right way – If your puppy happens to have an accident, don’t punish them. This will only make them more anxious and difficult to train. Instead, clean up the mess calmly and firmly tell your pup “no” when they have an accident in the future.
5. Be patient and consistent with your potty training efforts – it may take a little while for your puppy to get the hang of things. Do not give up, it will be worth it!
Puppy Training With Advice From Experts At Pacific Pet Hospital!
When it comes to training your pup, it is important to do your research and seek advice from professionals whenever you can. Our doctors at Pacific Pet Hospital are here to help guide you and answer any questions you have about the health and well being of your new puppy! Get your pup off to a great start by scheduling their first Wellness Exam and Vaccinations appointment with us today.